We are an online publication committed to advancing knowledge about Black Muslims in the United States through critical coverage of topics relating to Arts and Culture, Religion, Politics, History and other relevant themes.
- Religion, Arts & Culture, and Politics Co-Editors
Become a critical member of Sapelo Square! We are currently seeking co-editors to manage, edit, produce, and publish content for our Religion, Arts & Culture, and Politics sections.
In this role, you will:
- Identify and recruit potential contributors
- Provide guidance to contributors throughout the writing and submission process
- Produce content as needed, which may include writing, collecting and editing raw content and media
- Create content calendar for each quarter
- Meet scheduled submission deadlines
- Communicate with Managing Editor regarding submission process
- Uphold the mission and values of Sapelo Square by being inclusive of the dynamic and diverse Black Muslim voices in the United States
- Attend monthly (virtual) Sapelo Square Squad meetings
- Have the opportunity to educate the broader public about Black Muslims in the
United States and challenge the marginalization and invisibility of this critical community
Please send your writing samples and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to submit work to be included on Sapelo Square, please see our guidelines below.
Submission Guidelines and Principles:
We welcome submissions that document, analyze and/or celebrate the experience of Black Muslims in the United States. Sapelo Square strives to be inclusive of the dynamic and diverse Black Muslim community. We take a nonsectarian approach to Islam and an inclusive vision of what it means to be Black in the United States. As a result, we welcome diverse viewpoints, ideologies and perspectives. To be considered for inclusion on Sapelo Square, submitted work should not isolate, marginalize, or attack other Black Muslims. Further, we seek high-quality content that is informed and thought provoking.
Your pitch should include:
- An explanation on why your pitch is relevant and timely.
- A description of your pitch, and a brief explanation for why you are best suited to address this subject.
- Your idea should be composed of a few lines.
Final submissions should be no longer than 1000 words and include relevant photos or artwork. Long form submissions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Audio, Video and Visual Submissions:
We welcome media submissions that adhere to our guidelines above and exhibit the most dynamic form of its medium.
Send pitches and submissions to:
Arts & Culture: email@example.com
General inquiries, Permissions/Syndication or Repost questions: firstname.lastname@example.org