Sapelo Square is calling for submissions of photos that document being Black and Muslim during Ramadan & Eid Al Fitr. We would like to showcase the dynamic ways “we do what we do” in the African American Muslim experience.
Can you make time to take a group photograph of your community for us to share on Sapelo Square? We would love to share group photographs from your local Masjid, school or even at home with your family and friends. Snap an image to capture the essence of the communal Ramadan and Eid spirit!
- Email address
- A short description of the image (location, Masjid name, names/titles of individuals pictured, etc.)
- If you are taking photographs with your phone, wipe the area where your camera is on your phone with a cloth to remove any smudges.
- If you are taking photographs with a DSLR camera, please send JPGs not RAW.
- Make sure the area you are in has proper lighting. If you are near a window, stand opposite of the window to ensure that there is proper facial lighting (or go outside if it is bright enough.
- A plain background is preferred over a busy one
- Horizontal images are preferred (see images above as an example).
Insha’Allah, please send all images and information BEFORE OR NO LATER THAN JULY 20th 2015 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We know that the first folks to celebrate Ramadan and Eid in the United States were just like us: African American Muslims. We also know that the oppression they lived under made it almost impossible to practice and document their faith. Sapelo Square will showcase the beauty of our collective communal experience in their honor.